Friday, June 1, 2012

Vancouver Update - A Bridge and Crepes

Bridges and the construction of the same have always fascinated me.  The image below shows the existing Port Mann Bridge in British Columbia, with the new cable design to the left.




The Port Mann Bridge, with New Design by DG Hudson



This design is actually very appropriate for this location, with the clear view of the mountains or the water.  The white cables form a pattern that appears graceful even in the construction stages.  The orange rounded arch belongs to the existing bridge.





Parallel Bridges of the Port Mann in BC, by DG Hudson


****


The new incarnation of the bridge will expand the capacity of the the existing Highway #1 in connecting the Fraser Valley to the Tri-Cities area.  According to Wikipedia, the old bridge, built in the 1960s will be dismantled.  This was news to me.  Discussing the new bridge can be touchy, as tolls will be the chosen source of income to finance the ongoing costs and maintenance.




Orange Girders and White Cables, Pt. Mann Bridge by DG Hudson



Scheduled for completion by the end of 2013, the new bridge is expected to improve the commuting experience.  We'll have to wait a year to find out.

See References listed below for more links.
 

*** ***


DO YOU LIKE CREPES?
 
Greater Vancouver Regional district

In Coquitlam Centre Mall, at the intersection of Barnet Highway and Lougheed Highway, we discovered a small welcoming cafe called 'Crepe de licious'.  They have other edible delights such as gelatos, breakfast crepes and Paninis also on the menu.  This is healthy light eating.



Crepe de licious cafe, Coquitlam Centre by DG Hudson



These ladies shown below made our delicious crepes BEFORE I said I would mention them in my blog, then they graciously posed for a photo.  The special coffee was very nice too, not just your usual drip and splash.  They took the time to make the crepe the way I do at home, but they have far better equipment.  Some crepe makers, of professional quality, are available for sale in the store.  Prices for sweet or savoury crepes range from $4.25 to $9.95. 


Friendly Employees at Crepe de licious.


To learn about other locations, check the websitehttp://www.crepedelicious.com/


Crepes. . .they can be versatile.

We had our first nutello crepes at the Musee d'Orsay in Paris.  I make my own batter and crepes using a basic recipe.  It always works.  I don't use special equipment.

Do you like crepes? Any creperies where you live?  Share the names in the comments, and where they are located in your city.
***

23 comments:

  1. Wow, the new bridge looks awesome! I lived in Lions Bay before I moved to Yukon, and I'm very familiar with the old bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the design, but it reminds me of War of the Worlds where the creatures have those long extensions hanging down like a jellyfish's tendrils.

      (I do have a vivid imagination. . .)

      Thanks for the visit, EvalinaMaria.

      Delete
  2. Okay, that bridge reminds me of the bridge in St. Pete, FL. Very similar. And I love crepes.YUM! Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Mina, perhaps it's the newest design to be used for bridges. The pattern of the cables also reminds me of the sails on tall ships.

      Crepes are definitely yummy. Want recipes, just ask.

      Delete
    2. The Sunshine Skyway? As if looking at it from afar isn't fascinating enough, looking out while on it truly takes your breath away. It's a weird feeling of dichotomy: you are way up high as if you are flying, but your "feet" (or vehicle's wheels) are still "grounded" to a surface that's connected on down to the Earth.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy your photographs and your imagination! I am giving you a "Lovely Blog Award," details on my blog, www.castlepinesnorth.blogspot.com And. . .crepes are a favorite of mine, love the red chefs' hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks but no thanks, loverofwords, see tab at top of this page, 'Tags-Awards Policy'

      I responded on your blog, so you'd know. Sorry, but like you said, time is an issue.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had crepes in ages, but they are yummy. Pretty bridge. You got great shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, M., wish I could send you a virtual crepe.

      Your book and Roland's books are my next TBR.

      Delete
  6. The first time I ate crepes was on a Paris street corner. Have loved them ever since. There are even some great crepe makers in Honolulu!
    Luv the chefs' red caps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some form of crepe or wrap type food seems to be in lots of cultures. It's convenient and can be healthy.

      Thanks for stopping by, Gail.

      Delete
  7. The sails on the bridge are amazing and very fitting for the beautiful scene around it. Very few people like change and I can never understand why. Okay, if they're included in the discussion beforehand, raise objections. But once construction is underway, forget the grips.

    Crepes are probably like pancakes here in England. You can make thick ones or paper thin, depending on their purpose. I love them wrapped around cold shredded duck, plum sauce, shredded spring onion and cucumber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Francene, that duck pancake does sound good. You're right, there are many variations on wrap style food, and they can be filled with many good things.

      It's the old toll bridge argument, and for everyday users, it's appalling what they want to charge each way. There are pros and cons to the argument.

      Delete
  8. I also quite enjoy bridges. They can have so much character, and be beautiful in their own right.

    Crepes are delish! We briefly had a crepe place at the mall here, but I never made it there before it closed. Guess teens aren't big crepe fans, and they're the ones eating at the mall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must say at first glance the picture reminded me of Tall Ships. Then I took a second look and realised it was indeed a beautiful bridge. Great photo all the same.

    I like crepe's with fresh strawberries or fruit, cream and sprinkling of sugar. Mmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought, too, Jenni, tall ships. I kept going by and thinking I have to get a photo of this, especially since we've learned they intend to dismantle the old bridge (so they can toll the new one. . .)

      That's my fave crepe too, I love fruit, but the spinach ones are good too.

      Delete
  10. Love the bridges!

    I have always wanted to try crepes, but find myself looking at them in menus at chain restaurants and somehow feel that they aren't "real" crepes. I don't want to ruin the experience, so I don't order them. Sounds like I need you to guide me as to where! I definitely am up for anything fruity and sweet.

    By the way, you did good on the write up for the tags/awards policy. I admire you for not getting distracted and standing firm. Even when people have good intentions, you have to stick to your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, J., we'll search together for crepe places if we make it to your part of Florida someday.

      A very good basic recipe is in the Joy of Cooking. If you can swirl batter in a nonstick pan, you can make crepes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  11. I love crepes. There used to be a restaurant chain back in the 70s called Magic Pan and I would sometimes frequent that. Great stuff, but,alas, I think they all went out of business.
    Last crepes I had were at IHop--not too bad, but...

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But not homemade, there is a difference. My first crepes ever were at a 2nd flr French restaurant on Robson Street, years ago.

      Delete
  12. Hmmm I love crepes. No crepes around here unless I make them which I haven't done in years. I'll have to get out my recipe again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should compare recipes for the crepe batter.

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they show on the blog.