Saturday, September 1, 2012

Paris - Street Level Study


Near the Moulin Rouge, Starbucks in Montmartre, Paris.  A welcome break halfway to our destination. . .



Starbucks in Montmartre, Paris by Green Eye


***

The square cut cobbled stone of Pere Lachaise's streets in the autumn.  Step carefully, as this isn't a completely flat surface.   It forces a respectful pace.

***

Pere Lachaise cobblestones, Paris, by DG Hudson


***

The Eiffel Tower seen from ground level, the Trocadero in the lower centre of the photo. The blue building on the left is the entrance to the tower elevator.  







***

Paris advertising on the Champ Elysees using two images of Brigitte Bardot. 



Champ Elysses, Paris, by DG Hudson



Forever bronzed in his headlong stride, Winston Churchill walks to meet whatever challenge stands in his way. 



Winston Churchill in bronze, Paris, by DG Hudson


Sometimes, it's the little things that stand out in our memory.  For that, you need to be on the sidewalk, at street level. 

***

How do you remember your travels?  Do you keep notes, use a journal, record videos or photograph everything?  Please share in the comments. 


***

Two upcoming blogfests you should check out:

Sept.10, 2012:  MPax, Laura Eno, Brinda Berry, Ciara Knight,
What's Your Chocolate Blogfest

Sept. 17, 2012:  Alex J. Cavanaugh,  Genre Favourites Blogfest

***

16 comments:

  1. Oh, so beautiful. I can imagine walking a city like Paris is the best way to discover those hidden side-street gems. Edinburgh is like that. Only way to see it is on foot.

    I take as many photos and videos as I can when I travel. Hundreds and hundreds of photos. I don't always remember what or where the picture was, but I know I was there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely relate, LG. We take photos by the hundreds too!

      I'd love to see Edinburgh. We have Scottish roots back to the 15th century on one side of the family.

      Delete
  2. My screen keeps flipping out when I attempt to write a comment here...sorry if I submitted a partial comment....

    I love the pictures. I try to live in the moment when I travel, hoping that the images will be set in my mind forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't see any partial comments, Tonja. Try writing about it the next time you travel, it makes you think about the details.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I am your newest follower. I no longer live in the PNW, although my blog photo is of Rainier. I LOVED being so close to British Columbia and I miss BC the most now that I'm on the east coast. :)

    Great pics of Paris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome,JoJo, thanks for the follow. Glad you set me straight about your location. That means the Blue Moon was visible from both east and west coasts. Nice.

      Delete
  4. How wonderful. Bet those cobblestones would be quite a trial in heels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tough to walk on the cobbled stone in flats. Boots are good, though.

      Delete
  5. Lovely pictures! I would love to return to Paris. I remember this incredibly narrow stone stairway that led straight up Montmartre. I strayed from the group and followed it until I got the most amazing view of the city. *sigh*

    I guess I just keep memories like that in my head. Thanks for sharing!

    Great sounding blogfests coming up! :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a lovely stairway you discovered, and we strayed from a tour group too, in the Louvre. Too many people. We got better pix by going on our own. (you've got to listen to that inner voice sometimes saying do this, not that).

      Delete
  6. Nice street level tour. I like to catch the everyday details of the life of a place. When I travel I don't do nearly enough to capture my memories. I have some pictures, but I don't usually take much time to take photos. I'm terrible when it comes to keeping a journal.


    Lee
    A Faraway View

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'mon, Lee, Both hubs and I are photo hounds. Step back, take a few photos, THEN, get into the moment. With digital it's easy. I kept the journal for us, since I take better notes, and I knew I wanted to write posts later.

      Delete
  7. I photograph EVERYTHING! Love the angle on your Eiffel Tower photo. There is always a little double take moment for me when I see an American restaurant with American spelling and everything somewhere else.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan, Shannon, with digital it's easier to photograph everything. Thanks re the Eiffel Tower. I wanted to get some shots from every angle. And seeing Starbucks in Montmartre - priceless, when you want a home-style coffee.

      Delete
  8. We keep digital pictures and videos of everything. When I was little, I kept handwritten journals. With all the digitizing, a little of the personal flavor is lost. I sometimes make posts to Facebook as I travel to keep little journal-like snippets flowing and out there for friends and family to read, but privacy considerations rein me in a lot in that arena.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing to consider, Julie, is whether you have a backup of your digital pix?

      I don't use FB, but I know lots of people store their photos there. Keeping journals is a natural for me too.

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they show on the blog.