Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Cat with C'attitude

The Visitor

His Cat name is Sid, aka Sid-hartha, Sid-dee, Sid the vicious, and Squidney.  These different names represent his changing moods.  He's been lodging here at our place while his owner is packing and moving.



Sid the Polydactyl in the Study, by DG Hudson


In the photo above, you can just see the thumb on the right paw. It looks like a mitten and allows him to swat at things with panache, including people.  He's got the spunk and attitude of a dog, since he was raised with a large dog named Sasha, a female who tolerated his lunging leaps as a kitten. No one is sure who instigated all their escapades, and they aren't telling. But, a thumb does help get things open.




Sid the vicious, at 2 years by DG Hudson


Sid looks a little wistful here, missing his owner.  They will be reunited in about a week. In the meantime, he's come to think of our home as a 'Cat Spa', and we're his attendants. After all, he meows frequently and thinks he's talking to the humans.  Those are probably 'command meows'. He's still young and a little cocky.




Sid in formal pose, best paw extended, by DG Hudson


A Note About Polydactyls

Ernest Hemingway loved polydactyl cats, after being given one by a ship's captain. When Hemingway died, his former home in Key West, Florida was turned into a museum and a home for approximately fifty cats. About half of the cats are polydactyl. Sometimes these cats are called Hemingway Cats, because of his well-known love for the breed. Perhaps Ernest thought their big 'mitt paws' looked like boxing gloves.

We visited the Hemingway House a few years ago and saw these cats lounging on the beds.  In the lush garden, you can see a unique porcelain watering fountain for the cats; it came from Sloppy Joe's.

***

Have you seen a polydactyl cat's paws?  Did you know about these cats? OR if you like the photos of Sid, let me knowPlease share in the comments and thanks for dropping by.

***

References:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydactyl_cat Polydactyl Cats

http://www.hemingwayhome.com/ Hemingway House

***

26 comments:

  1. Well I never knew that. How interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger's acting up, my comment didn't show here.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen a polydactyl cat before! Sid is quite handsome!! Looks like he's made himself at home too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoJo. They have such cute little 'hand' paws. And yes, he has made himself at home. . .

      Delete
  3. If you learned about these unique cats, great! Just had to feature our visitor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally - here was your reply, ah, thanks to Mr. Blogger.

      Delete
  4. Sid the Gorgeous, I'd say! Yes, I knew about these cats, both from Hemingway and because I always had cats so I read about them. I will not have any more cats so I enjoy them when I meet them or when they show up in pictures, like Sid above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any pets, now, so we've enjoyed the visit. It also reminded me of the way cats get up earlier than I do. Glad you enjoyed the photos, Inger!

      Delete
  5. P.S. I love the way your blog looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Inger, I like the blog to be a calm peaceful place for reading. Hope things are going well for Samson and you in your mountain retreat.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I had heard of Polydactyl cats. And funnily enough I recently read about Hemmingway's love of them and his deceased estate being made into a sanctuary.

    Sid is such a regal looking animal! I'm sure you'll miss him when he leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a coincidence Wendy? I think we will miss him, which will be in another week.

      Delete
  7. Sid looks like a very loved feline. I like the lyricism of the term, 'Hemingway cat.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must mean Hemingway had a soft side in there somewhere, if he liked cats.

      Delete
  8. Never heard of Hemingway cats before, but what a beauty. I have all kinds of nicknames for my dog like that too, depending on her/my mood. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first heard about them, LG, when we went to Key West,Fla, and we knew we'd visit the Hemingway House. Glad you know about them now.

      Delete
  9. Cats are very demanding and have great attitudes. Mine talk to us all the time. The Husband Unit recently got yelled at. Mine can be very bossy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious, Mary,but I know what you mean. Siamese are like that, and two live next door to us.

      Delete
  10. Awe he's beautiful. Never heard of the breed before, but they seem to have an interesting history. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misha, I recently read that in Europe these types of cats were killed off for the most part as they were considered the 'familiars' of witches. It might have happened in other places as well.

      Delete
  11. I haven't seen one, but I've HEARD about these cats and that museum! I would love to visit. And btw, Sid looks like he has loads of personality~ :D <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hemingway House and Museum is fantastic, especially imagining him there. You see his books, his kids' rooms and some of the art done just for him.

      As for the cats, they lounge around like Sultans and pretty women in furs.

      Delete
  12. I had never heard of polydactyl cats. Very interesting! He looks rather harmless in the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sid has a touch of Siamese in him, which accounts for the haughty attitude he affects at times.

      Delete
  13. I love dogs, but I'm also a cat person and this post made me think of my cat that died last year. ): I've heard of these kinds of cats before but never new the technical term for it. Their paws do look huge with the extra 'thumb.' And what great pics, I especially like the one of Sid at 2 years old, he has beautiful eyes full of mischief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elise, Sid does have beautiful blue eyes. That extra thumb seems to comes with the knowledge of how to use it to a cat's advantage.

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they show on the blog.