Thursday, May 23, 2013

Music in the Cellar - Vancouver Views

Corey Weed's Cellar Jazz Club
The sound comes from underground, it's in the Cellar, the jazzy one. . .



Cory Weeds Cellar Jazz Club, Vancouver, DG Hudson Collection


Music in Vancouver comes in many varieties, but one of the best places to catch jazz is at Cory Weed's Cellar Jazz Club, in Kitsilano. Passersby can hear the music in the evenings as it drifts up the stairs. The intimacy of a smaller venue is perfect for a night out. This is not a place to dance, but rather a place to sip, listen and dine well at average costs.


Owner/Manager Cory Weeds, saxophonist, grew up in Vancouver, went away to study and returned to open his own jazz club, a haven for musicians. Check the links below if you're interested in the Vancouver Jazz Festival, beginning June 21 - June 30.  Cory's Cellar Jazz Club is one of the venues. During the Jazz Festival, reservations are required.

Corey Weeds and his Sax, by Green Eye


 Cory's jazz club has been compared to The Village Vanguard and the best of the New York jazz clubs. It's the quality of the entertainment, and the respect shown to the musicians that bring us back.

NOTE: as of the end of February 2014, the Cellar is closing. Read the details here:

http://www.cellarjazz.com/index.cfm?go=site.news&article=137

(updated February 27, 2014)DGH
***


Jim Byrnes
One of the local favorites, a long-time blues musician, and actor, originally from St. Louis.


Jim Byrnes, Cory and group at the Cellar. DGH Collection


To hear Jim Byrnes' voice, My Walking Stick, click the link. Jim and the Sojourners always impress at Cory's Cellar Jazz Club. If Steve Dawson is on the stage as well, you're in for a triple treat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzKUNLg1zTI Youtube of My Walking Stick

***

There's a Difference . . . in this name

Cory Weed's Cellar Jazz Club in Kitsilano, is a live music club offering quality jazz and blues. Reservations are recommended.

A club with a similar name is The Cellar, a downtown nightclub on Granville Street featuring Vancouver's best DJs and an entirely different atmosphere.

Be sure you pick the right one for your musical tastes. . .


This post is part of the Vancouver Views series, a photo perspective of Vancouver and unique west coast topics. All photos by Green Eye are property of DG Hudson.

***


Jesse Cahill, Cory Weeds, Steve Kaldestad, by Green Eye 


***

Do you prefer a club that offers a dinner menu and quality live music, OR the best DJs, dancing, and mingling with music in the background?

Have your music tastes changed since your teens or twenties? (Are you broadening your musical interests, or are you a connoisseur of a lifelong style of music? (opera, popular, rock, etc.)


***

References:

http://www.cellarjazz.com/ Cory's Weed's Cellar Jazz Club

http://www.coryweeds.com/shows.php The musician Cory Weeds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Byrnes_(actor) Jim Byrnes, the Actor

http://www.jamestbyrnes.com/ Jim Byrnes, the blues musician

http://www.jimbyrnes.org/bio.htm Overcoming adversity - Jim Byrnes

***

18 comments:

  1. Oh, I would love an evening out like that. Good food, good wine, great jazz. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another plus, LG, the musicians will stop and chat with the customers at break time. It's interesting learning their history. It's the sort of place I'd expect to find in New York.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely evening that must have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a great evening. Seattle musicians,as well as several New York regulars have made appearances here.

      Delete
  3. Sounds so civilized and grown-up!

    My musical tastes have always been eclectic and still are to this day. I went to the Moulin Rouge in Paris once - one of the best evenings of my life. I'd suspect I'd love the clubs you have highlighted too just as much. So much atmosphere. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't make it to a Moulin Rouge show, so what impressed you the most? (I took the walking tour instead.)

      The Cellar Jazz Club is a cozy place.

      Delete
    2. The sumptuous fabrics, glittering red lamps, the can-can, the French accent, romantic atmosphere, dancing, singing, the music, top quality food and wine, extraordinary costumes, general razzle and dazzle ...

      I could go on endlessly!

      Delete
  4. My tastes are pretty much the same as when I was younger...very eclectic. But my days of seeing live music are over. I don't like crowds at all. But in my concert-going hey day, I was usually found at a Grateful Dead show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit eclectic too. I did adopt jazz after seeing some early films of the old jazz greats.

      Delete
  5. It's been quite a while since I've seen live entertainment. We just don't get out like we once did. I love jazz. I've seen some of the best in New Orleans. The jazz club sounds like the perfect quaint forum to listen to some great jazz . I love Sax players; they're my favorite musicians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow, Melissa. The saxophone is one of my favorite instruments, too. We've seen a few New Orleans groups when they've traveled here in larger venues, but this Cellar Jazz brings in some of the cool NY sound.

      Delete
  6. Oh, this post brings back so many memories from my teenage years. My first club was a jazz club in an ancient cellar in Old Town Stockholm in the mid-50s. New Orleans/Dixieland Jazz was popular at the time and all the kids who were musically inclined played it there and other places. High Society is still my favorite song. My first record was Louis Armstrong's Muskrat Ramble on a 78!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot of likes in common, Inger. Jazz, photography, Kerouac, and now Louis Armstrong. Louis has always been a favorite.

      You'd love the Cellar Jazz club, Inger. The guys here respect the old jazz, but they create their own new versions as well. Cellar Jazz, Cory's own label, has done well.

      Delete
  7. Looks so nice in there.

    My music tastes have broadened, so I now listen to alt rock in addition to classical, opera, musicals etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Misha, we should remain open to all forms of music. Jazz is probably my favorite, then blues, then rock, and classical.

      Delete
  8. When I was younger I used to enjoy going out for evenings of music in places like you describe. Haven't done this for quite some time now. Partly financial and partly because I'm too tired to go out at night when things like this usually happen.

    Now if they had a place nearby that had cheap breakfast and music....

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Lee, don't know of breakfast places, but there are Jazz Vespers on Sundays at a nearby church. Some of the Cellar crew appear there. Cory and his house regulars encourage the young musicians in Vancouver, as well. They bring up the New York and Pacific West coast musicians for cross-border treats.

      Delete
  9. I'd love that oatmeal cookie recipe when you get a chance! I've disabled my email on my blog but it's queenbead@msn.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before they show on the blog.