Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Tide that Tugs - East Coast Florida

In honor of the summer season, I'm posting beach photos taken in Florida on a past vacation. This east coast beachside town, with its salty Atlantic air and white sand beaches form part of my past. This is just a sampling of Florida's charm. Just remember, don't go in hurricane/tornado season.


Daytona Beach, Florida

A walk on the beach at dusk, with shadows encroaching on the dying sun.


Daytona Beach Shores, Florida, by DG Hudson


Daytona Beach is historically known for having a beach that motorized vehicles can drive on in restricted areas. This is called beach cruising and Daytona is one of the few beaches that allow this freedom. The hard packed sand made this city a mecca for motorsports. The old Daytona Beach Road Course hosted races for over 50 years and was replaced by the Daytona International Speedway in 1959. Daytona Beach is also headquarters for NASCAR and the Grand American Road Racing Association.


***



Retro Hotels and Pier, Daytona Beach, Fla. by DG Hudson


The Pier View

From the far end of the Daytona Beach Pier, the orange building on the right in the photo above, you can see the beach and some of the retro hotels. This was a choppy day, but the sky cleared with the wind. Some of the retro hotels in this photograph are no longer existing or need repairs. Storms in the area in the intervening years caused damage to the older buildings. That fact helps reinforce my belief that you should take photos when you can and freeze those moments for posterity.


***


The Modern end of Daytona Beach, from the Pier by DG Hudson


Daytona Beach, the modern end, taken from the Pier. This was a blustery day, but warm. Beautiful. At this end of the beach, you can find the Daytona Beach Bandshell, the Ocean Walk Shoppes, and the Pier. The Daytona International Speedway, a little further down the road, has tours or you can ride around the track with a professional driver. Costs available online.


***


St Augustine Beach, Florida

Located in northeast Florida, St. Augustine, founded in 1565 by Spain, is the oldest continuously occupied European-established settlement in the continental US. For two hundred years this was Spanish Florida. St. Augustine was first explored in 1513 by Spanish explorer and governor of Puerto Rico, Juan Ponce de Leon, who claimed it for Spain. Needless to say, the Europeans brought the usual disease and death to the local Indian tribes. For more information on the history, refer to the links below. Even Sir Francis Drake showed up here in 1586.



St. Augustine Beach, Fla. taken from the Pier, by DG Hudson


St. Augustine Beach, in Florida is a white sand, crystal shiny beach. There were no amenities to comment on when we were there. Except, there were bathrooms. No 'fun stuff' lining the beach as there is in Daytona. Bring your own supplies.


Castillo de San Marcos is also located in St. Augustine, a fort with walls made of compressed seashells, which gave its walls the ability to flex, rather than shatter or crumble.  Here's a link to my previous post on this fascinating fort. The photo below shows part of the fort cannon deck.


Castillo de San Marcos cannon, by DG Hudson

All photos taken by and property of DG Hudson.

***

Are any beaches in your summer plans? Do you love kicking back on the beach? What beaches are close to you, or if none, which beaches have YOU visited that stay in your memory?

Please share your comments, I'm always listening. Thanks for taking the time to stop by.

***
References:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytona_Beach,_Florida Wiki on Daytona Beach, Florida

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Augustine,_Florida Wiki on St. Augustine, the town

http://dghudson-rainwriting.blogspot.ca/2012/09/cannonballs-and-shell-walls-st.html
DG's post on the fort at St. Augustine, the Castillo de San Marcos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castillo_de_San_Marcos - Castillo de San Marcos, Fort at St. Augustine, Florida

http://www.staugustinelighthouse.com/ St Augustine Lighthouse and Museum, another site to visit.

***

22 comments:

  1. Florida does have some gorgeous beaches! I used to live in Clearwater, and my family and I spent a lot of time on that beach. Very nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherry. Florida was our family vacation spot.

      Delete
  2. Having grown up on Cape Cod and now living in this region again, I'm surrounded by beaches. I can walk to a small one from my house. But my fave beaches, for dramatic scenery anyway, are on the west coast USA and Vancouver Island. Glass Beach in Fort Bragg is all beach glass so that's probably my fave in the world! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to visit that Glass Beach. I like the west coast beaches, too.

      Delete
  3. Beaches have been a part of my life since my family lived in Palm Coast Florida when I was small. Even after we moved to Chattanooga, Tennessee (where I claim as being "from" since I spent all my school years there), we vacationed to Daytona Beach often.

    My husband is from Conway, South Carolina, only 15 miles inland from Myrtle Beach. We went to college at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida and got married at the Don CeSar hotel. After college, we spent our early married years, bought our first house and had our first child on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.

    Now we live in Brandon, Florida, with my husband working in Tampa. A pleasant return to west coast Florida.

    I have traveled much of the Caribbean as well and absolutely love the water and sand at many of the islands there.

    We are currently traveling home from a two week vacation on Pawleys Island, South Carolina.

    I cannot imagine living or vacationing (with the exception of Disney World) far from salt water and sand, at least not for very long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great knowledge of east coast beaches, Julie. I would love to visit the west side of Florida some day, and see more of the area. I didn't get enough Everglades, either.

      Thanks for stopping by, glad to see you here.

      Delete
  4. Do not forget the Space Coast - where science fiction lovers' reality and the beach collide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never. How could a self-respecting scifi writer forget NASA and the Space Coast?I've been there on the 'up close' tour, but haven't worked up a post about it.

      I loved that visit and seeing Merritt Island!

      Delete
  5. I love Florida. My parents lived in Sarasota for maybe 5 years after I graduated college, so any time off from work and all 3 day weekends were spent there. They have since moved back home (grandchildren were more important), but I still long for the soft sands of Sarasota. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally understand that. Some places do tug at our hearts.

      Delete
  6. I'm stuck in Ohio for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had summers like that. Day trips are good too!

      Delete
  7. Your pics look great! Makes me want to go there... I did go to Florida a few years ago but not that part of the sunshine state. I will follow your blog with pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thanks for the follow! Nice to meet you. Makes me curious where you did go in Florida.
      I'll be over to visit your blog.

      Delete
  8. I love the beach! It is the thing I miss most from my coastal years (I previously lived in California, Oregon, and Maryland). However, I love Colorado and the Rockies, too. My favorite beaches are in Oregon--they have so much character, and are just so gorgeous, with lighthouses, black lava rocks (on some), craggy cliffs, and so on. I've been to beaches in Florida, Maryland (Chesapeake and wherever we went to visit the ocean--everything was so close together, and I was so young, so I'm not sure), Texas, California, and Oregon, and Oregon beaches will always be in my heart and soul. :)

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Oregon beaches are awe-inspiring with the huge rocks just offshore (where I went on holidays once - Agate Beach?).

      I grew up as a flatlander (no mtns)so mountains impress me, still.

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos! I use to live in Pensacola and Orlando. I never made it to Daytona, but wanted to. I will be heading to the Outer Banks, soon...I love love strolls on the shoreline looking for treasure! Fun post I enjoyed the stroll ;D Thank you~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to beat a beach stroll with the salty air and the sound of the surf, Ella. You would make something from any treasures you found, I'm sure.

      Delete
  10. I was an East Coaster for quite a while and spent summers on Long Island where the sea smell and waves were awesome. I only visited FL once -- Miami -- and the thing I remember most was that it would rain every day between 12 and 2. That was weird. lol
    Your pics are great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be that erratic south Florida weather. . . There was no rain in Miami when I was there. I remember (in South Beach) hearing nothing but Latin music blasting from all the clubs and cafes as we visited the retro hotels by the beach(MiMo).

      Delete
  11. I live close to a beach in False Bay, South Africa. It's really beautiful here, but the wind blows so much that I don't like going down to the beach, because I get sandblasted there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't sound like it would be good for the skin, Misha. All that looks beautiful may not be. It certainly sounds exotic. A good setting for a story, perhaps?

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they show on the blog.