Wednesday, October 30, 2013

PARIS - A Flaneur's View at Halloween

In the spirit of the haunting season, the following images are from a flaneur's walk through Paris near All Hallows' Eve, or Halloween.


Notre Dame Cathedral


A Pigeon at dusk in Notre Dame Square by DG Hudson

A looming tower of Notre Dame lends an ominous air to this photo, as does the lighting. The pigeon showing its beautiful wingspan was hotdogging it for the camera. Shortly after, a great flutter of these birds rose in the air around the statue of Charlemagne. There is much history in this one spot. Several churches have existed here before. The center of Paris is in Notre Dame Square. Roman ruins can be found beneath street level and are visible in the Crypt Archeologique.


***

Montmartre Cemetery



Montmartre Cemetery, Paris, by DG Hudson



As we made our way with a walking tour group up the hill to Sacre Coeur, we stopped at the Montmartre Cemetery. In the photo above, note the design of the rounded monument on the right with the pinkish exterior. It has the look of Victoriana, but I couldn't confirm that. At one time, this cemetery would have been outside the Paris city limits.




Montmartre Cemetery corner, Paris, by DG Hudson


In certain parts of Montmartre Cemetery, Paris, our modern times encroach on the stately tombs of the past. Those lying beneath the overpass lived in times when only the sound of horses' hooves hitting the cobbled streets could be heard. A statue of a man lies in repose on that solid white block in the foreground.

***


Pere Lachaise Cemetery

In Pere Lachaise Cemetery, monuments date from many different eras. Some commemorate horrific events, such as war, or disaster where many lost their lives. This is grief.



Memorial in Pere Lachaise, Paris, by DG Hudson



In a place like Pere Lachaise Cemetery, a story exists behind each portal, door or entrance shown. These are family tombs.



Pere Lachaise Cemetery, Paris by DG Hudson


***

Hope you have a pleasantly creepy Halloween! Are you fond of cemeteries, and if so, do you write horror? Have you every been into a crypt or cemetery on Halloween? Would you want to?

***

14 comments:

  1. You were in Paris on Halloween? Do kids trick or treat? I guess I think of Halloween as being a North American thing. I love old cemeteries; the ones I go to here date to the late 1600s and early 1700s. I can't recall if I've been in one on Halloween but I used to play in one after dark at a friend's house. She lived next door to it. Boy we scared ourselves but good more than a few times too. Now, I could spend hours and hours shooting every stone and crypt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were there before Halloween, in October. If you search online, you can see they have Halloween parties, but door to door, I believe, is more of a North American tradition.

      That would be creepy, living next to the cemetery. In university, some people wanted to have a seance in the local cemetery, I opted out. I believe in not disturbing those spirits.

      Delete
  2. That first photo...I thought it was photoshopped to show a winged demon flying through Paris! What a great perspective. Perfect Halloween photo. And I'm guessing Paris is a very haunted city. Gotta be lots of ghostly tales buried in those graveyards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have Photoshop, I'd probably play with it too much. Glad you liked that photo. If Paris at Halloween were like Midnight in Paris, I'd be all over that.

      Delete
  3. I like visiting cemeteries. Paris is a good place to do that. Did you visit the catacombs? Now that's a creepy place!

    (I really like the first photo of the pigeon!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We took a pass on the Catacombs, hubs dislikes seeing a lot of bones, and I dislike being underground so we went to the Crypt Archeologique instead (Roman ruins).

      Delete
  4. Those are some great pictures. I like the Notre Dame one. The lighting in it is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack, makes my day when others like the photos.

      Delete
  5. Nice shots. So much history to be found. I do like visiting cemeteries. It wouldn't bother me to be at a cemetery on Halloween, but I don't think I'd want to be alone at any cemetery at night--not because of any spirits of the dead but the possibility of some wacko living person that might be there to hurt someone.

    Lee
    A Faraway View

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I visit them in the daytime and keep my wits about me. I still wouldn't want to tempt fate by hanging around on 'their turf' after minight.

      Delete
  6. What an interesting tour of a part of Paris I haven't seen. I love Paris, and your photos made me want to visit that beautiful city again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the images! The cemeteries of old Paris are full of history.

      Delete
  7. Great topic. Love ceiling art!! It would be great if we had more of it in North America - but there are a few gems I've seen. :)

    Thanks so much for stopping by over at writercize and for your comment as well!! We had a blast goofing off for the photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you liked the art, Alana. (comment in reference to Ceiling Art post following this one)

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before they show on the blog.