Sunday, April 6, 2014

Paris - A Flâneur's View and Art Mini-Tour

ART mini tour: 2014 A to Z Blog Challenge:

During the month of April, my Rainforest Writing Blog is presenting a theme on ART: Artists, Art Trivia, and Art Legends. This theme is part of the A to Z Blog Challenge hosted by bloggers for bloggers and readers. Hope you can drop by!

***

Now, back in Paris. . .

At the Carnavalet Museum

A quiet place to sit and listen to the sounds of the city before entering a treasury of historical memories. And no-flash photos may be taken in some areas in the museum. Herein lies a history lesson of the best kind - remember the people.



Carnavalet Museum Garden, Paris, by Green Eye
 

*****

An Arc with a View


The Arc de Triomphe, Paris, from ground level by DG Hudson


The architectural interest in The Arc de Triomphe and the history represented make it a worthwhile visit. If you can make it to the top, the view will give you a good idea of how the inner city of Paris is designed. Monuments make us feel small in the grand plan, but they also illustrate the ingenuity of man. Save some Euros for the bookstore.



****


Eiffel Graffiti or a Signing Wall?


The Signing Wall at the Eiffel Tower, by DG Hudson


In a city as important as Paris, a person wants to leave his mark, but in a non-destructive way. 'Love locks' on a gate , 'I was here' signings, reviews, and photographs. Some may have left a kiss on the Wilde monument in Pere Lachaise, but that's been changed. Details play a part in our memory of a place.

***

Enjoyed this Paris mini-tour? Are you participating in the A to Z Blog Challenge?

Please let me know you were here in the comments and I'll respond. Thanks for dropping by! Good luck if you're in the A to Z!

***

20 comments:

  1. I wonder if I would appreciate Paris more now that I'm an adult and have a digital camera. I don't remember it looking this pretty when I visited in 1982.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We brought back about a thousand photo images, JoJo. I planned our trip, so ask me for hints.

      Delete
  2. Love that garden maze. And I did see an article recently about those love locks people leave on Paris bridges. Such a romantic gesture, but it seems they are causing the bridges to fall apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about that too. I'd hate to see those bridges damaged. . .

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to see Paris. This only increases that want. Such a beautiful place. Also, I've only recently learned about that love lock bridge, but it just seems like a waste when someone from the city comes with bolt cutters and throws them all away, which does invariably happen so they don't all damage the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if they melt all the locks when they remove them? Maybe if they made them into a sculpture that looks like a fence, with places for the locks to be attached in some way. It would be a dynamic sculpture. Just so you know, we didn't do this when we were there. I love those bridges.

      Delete
  4. This was lovely, D.G. The perfect time to be exalting the power of memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've been thinking a lot lately, too. Hope you are holding up well. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. I've been up the eiffel, but I don't remember the signing wall, otherwise I would've wrote 'thanks to you dear eiffel tower for destroying my feet and killing my legs as I walked up you. The lift is for wimps (unless you are disabled, we can let you off)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure when that was added or if it was intended to be what it is now, but I liked it, I walked around all four sides of the Eiffel, clicking every few feet.

      I took the wimpy elevator, Hayley, but I did walk up the 300 + stairs of the Arc de Triomphe. Bravo for you for going for the stairs!

      Delete
  6. Siiiiiigh... now you're just making me miss Paris again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paris has a way of doing that to those who visit. I'm just the messenger. . .

      Delete
  7. Ah, Paris. I have friends who are there right now! I need to take another trip there and just stay there for a few weeks, and not travel anywhere else. Your posts help. I am participating in the A-Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky friends you have, loverofwords! Three or four weeks would be about right.

      Delete
  8. Anything about Paris interests me. I was only there once, don't plan to return, but love the memories I will always have of my visit . . . the art, the architecture, the sweets!
    Gail visiting for AtoZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a woman after my own heart, but I do plan to return again since I didn't do everything I wanted to do. . a fantastic trip that altered surpassed my expectations.

      Delete
  9. Like that idea of the signing wall. Non destructive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, Haddock! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  10. I like the idea of having a place for permissible graffiti.

    Paris is not one of the top places in the world calling my name, but thank you for still giving me exposure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different places call different people, Julie. So glad to see you here. I'm emailing you later today. Long time, no see. It's been a quick year so far.

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they show on the blog.