Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Pick Up Sticks, Hand-carved - A Photo Study

There are many uses for sticks, something any child and any dog can relate to.  Sticks appeal to anyone who needs the help of a walking stick, or likes one for hiking. Think Gandalf and wooden swords.

Hand carving produced these sticks shown here, a hobby that hubs just started doing in the summer of 2013 when we picked up a few branches that had fallen. After that, we acquired some more branches from a vacant lot next to a friend's house, and trimmings left near some of our walks. The wood used for these sticks was 'found' wood, not purchased.


A sampling of the Collection


Hand-Carved Wooden Swords, and Walking Sticks, photo by DG Hudson



There are three wooden swords in the first photo, and hubs has also fashioned a few wooden knives, suitable for use as props perhaps. There were drumsticks for a musician friend, and magic wands for those who needed one. (we are Harry Potter fans. . .) He liked the creation process and everything was hand done, carefully hand-sanded, stained with tea stain or for the dark areas, a purchased stain. Each is protected with a varnish finish to protect the stain and provide some weatherproofing.


***

Details

Detail of carved sticks, photo by DG Hudson


The yellow stain on some of the tops of the sticks, in the photo below, was created by soaking a few threads of saffron in water and using that as a stain. Depending on the amount of tea stain applied, nice shadowing results on the natural air-dried wood. Some effects result from leaving the layer underneath the outer bark in place, as it will retain the stain differently.



Carved wood collection, prop of DG Hudson
 
 
 
 
More Detail 

Basic Staffs and Walking sticks, photo by DG Hudson


These photos illustrate something you can do to occupy idle hands or just for the thrill of hand-carving something that is pleasant to look at and possibly useful. I had planned to show these prior to hubs' illness, as he agreed. We are not taking orders or selling anything, this is simply a sharing of hobby ideas. I am the recipient of two walking sticks and one French style sword. The time may come when I need them. . .

***
Do you have a hobby or skill that you use to produce gifts or interesting things? Do you like walking sticks or a staff (like Gandalf used)? 

Please leave a comment to let me know you were here and I'll respond. Thanks for dropping by!

***

18 comments:

  1. Those are GORGEOUS! I bet he could make walking sticks and sell them easily. Wands too, for the wizarding crowd. Well...you've been to my blog so you've seen the range of stuff I like to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them, JoJo. Hubs has only given them as gifts. And yes I know what great crafts you do! I love the beach glass you collect and much more.

      Delete
  2. Oh how beautiful. Wood has a charm all of its own - and your hubby has showcased it superbly. Congratulate him for me please. I hope he (and you) are doing much, much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC! I love wood, too, and was so pleased that hubs took up the carving. He had never carved before, but has a good eye for it. We bought proper carving tools when we saw a set and he just went from there.

      Hubs is improving every day, some better than others, but he's always been so patient and supportive of me, now it's my turn. Thanks for the good wishes.

      Delete
  3. What a clever and creative man your hubs is. They are lovely obviously a lot of enjoyment is had by creating these from found wood. It must take a lot of patience though. So glad to hear his health is improving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he is clever and creative, but I'm biased. Thanks for the kind words. Glad you like them, they are special to me, too.

      Delete
  4. Wow these are gorgeous. I'm so impressed.
    I was glad to read your husband is improving. I hope that will continue and wish you both the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, for the wishes, and I'm glad you like the sticks! The swords are a favorite with those who like fantasy.

      Delete
  5. My word, they are impressive. Incredibly so!

    I'm sorry to hear your husband is unwell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy, hubs found a hidden talent in carving. He is recovering day by day and I'm his best advocate.

      Delete
  6. Elephant's Child is right: carved wood has a charm all its own. I love those walking sticks. I pray that your husband soon improves enough to carve those creations once more. He is indeed talented! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're fast, and thanks for taking the time to visit. I hope he can take up carving again, but if not, he'll find something else perhaps.

      Delete
  7. That is so, so cool. We don't carve wood, but we've been known to restore old axes - smooth out the wood, give it a nice colorful finish, put on a new axe head, and then make a leather scabbard for it.

    Latest axe - handle was a sickly yellow before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That axe looks great with a red handle (that is so it matches what shows up on the blade - right?) I was thinking of that when I said BBQ the goat - perhaps I should have considered it was Old Goat. . . which can be dry and stringy.

      Delete
  8. Those are some very nice looking sticks! Hubs has talent!

    My son wanted a hiking stick very badly when he was younger and we used to go for a lot of hikes. He never got one, but I'm sure seeing these sticks would rekindle his interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the carved sticks, and hubs had no prior practice at carving or whittling. It's all hand done with a good set of carving tools we got on sale. It would be a great hobby for a kid, and you can use pruned branches from trees. We used hazelnut, maple, oak, and pear and apple branches. Good luck. A natural curve in the branch adds character, too.

      Delete
  9. Very cool -- they look incredible. I would dig a Gandalf-style walking staff. And a big floppy hat. And a great bushy beard. Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you have to grow a bushy beard to pull off the big hat and magic staff. And the 'magic wood' would have to be used. . .then you could get a job at Harry's old alma mater, Milo!

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they show on the blog.