Friday, October 9, 2015

Photography- Paris Layered Images

I wonder what would happen if. . .

This post highlights a photo experiment which came about when I arranged different elements related in some way or which seemed to suggest a story. In this case the elements are a framed poster of Paris, a couple of paintings and photographs either bought or captured while in Paris, a metallic figurine of a sax player (not from Paris but Jazz and Paris go together) and a Spanish figurine, beautifully sculpted.

A thin metal sax player blows his horn low and blue in front of the cafe, as Paris settles down for evening. . .





***

A farm girl from the provinces gazes at her piglets while she dreams of life in Paris: the Moulin Rouge tempts and the bridges of Paris stand stoic as the river flows beneath. . .




***


***
Cafes and bistros are two elements of Paris that symbolize one of the memories I have of the excellent food, the different manner of eating - more refined, which can be had in Paris if you know where to look. The painting shows a corner of a street, a place to meet, and the photograph, an actual cafe in Montmartre, a building which appears to be from the 1800s, . .



***

Long shot of the elements in the experiment. The images captured above no longer exist now in this form, the poster is on the wall as are the two small paintings. A friend told me once that I arrange things like little vignettes.  The items were arranged on a buffet and an antique portable desk that clerks used to use in the early 1900s, as the lower portion is like a cash register drawer. I bought it as a writing desk but it now holds many little remembrances. One day it may inspire another photo  experiment or at least a blog post.




***

Hope you enjoyed my experiment and it gives you an idea of what can inspire a story element, or just be pleasant to look at and imagine.  Every writer is a bit of a dreamer.

Do you arrange 'things' for your own pleasure, or do you prefer austerity and keeping to the tried and true? Some view 'things' as clutter.  Do you like the things you collect to be around you to be enjoyed and to promote conversation?

Please leave a comment to let me know you stopped by and I'll respond. Thanks for visiting!

*****

14 comments:

  1. I love how you did those vignettes. That was really clever and artistic. I do have a certain way I like to have my knick knacks arranged and people see it as clutter but they are my treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I wouldn't think so, having little corners of interest make a house so much more interesting. It tells a little about those who live there. I like the gallery look.

      Delete
  2. Intriguing.
    I do arrange things, to evoke memories, to trigger thought. There is no austerity in either my house or my head.
    Thank you for a post which has me wondering, dreaming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the fun of imagination, because some things can clash or look out of place. It takes an inventive mind and a creative eye to 'arrange', or at least that's my story. . .

      Delete
  3. I love these arrangements, I only wish I had the imagination and creativity to show off things in such a way, instead my 'memorabilia' are usually stuffed in a drawer or a cupboard somewhere. You may have given me an idea....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A writer always has imagination, Sally, and you're a writer. Just try a few arrangements and see what looks interesting. I usually have a cohesive idea that draws them together - such as style, media, color, or subject matter.. Example: I have a Hotel de Ville wall clock surrounded by images from Paris-tin plated Arc de Triomphe, photo of Eiffel, and small painting of the Moulin Rouge. all in browns and sepia tones. I may post more on this type of display in future posts.

      Delete
  4. I love your method of arrangement. You definitely have an eye for it. Me, on the other hand? My knick knicks are all in disarray. My writing desk is completely plain, just because if I put anything on it I know it'd also just become clutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my eye for arrangement comes from going through too many antique stores and art galleries. I've come to like the look of related items that 'could' tell a story. . . (maybe that's an eye for arranged clutter. . .)

      Delete
  5. This is an experiment very nicely done. Any one of these would look nice hanging on the walls of my house--or better yet in a gallery somewhere. This has a lot of potential I think.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee, I like juxtaposition of objects. I have a few more arrangements. It's almost like a 3D Collage, or pop-ups on a visual level.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed your experiment. Your pairings were tasteful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of the effects of pop-ups in the digital world where we get more info when our cursor passes over a particular word or image. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  7. I think it's always invigorating to mix things up, but if the order appears cluttered, beware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's cluttered with no theme or thread of connection, yes, it creates a jarring effect.

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they show on the blog.