Monday, August 22, 2016

Memories - Summer Beaches

As August draws to a close and the leaves begin to take on a bit of colour. . .

I thought of beaches, since I'm always drawn to water sources, whether river, ocean or lakes, but oceans are my favourites. These images are from my archives. I may have been inspired by a program I saw on the effects of global warming  and how that will affect our oceans. 

What is it about a beach that draws us to it? Is it the sand, or is it the water,with its power of the ocean, and the calmness of the inlets? Is it the sound the wave makes as it slaps the sand and then withdraws, gathering itself for another attempt?

Whether you are familiar with east coast or west coast beaches, island beaches, European beaches, there's something about the salty air and the continuous rushing of the waves that invigorates or relaxes, depending on what you do while at the beach.

***

Daytona Beach, Florida, has been popular for decades as it was one beach where auto races used to take place. Cars can still drive on certain areas of the beach.  There is a retro boardwalk here as well, which is at the other end of the beach. 


Daytona Beach, Fla. and Retro Hotels, by DG Hudson
***

A city beach, this one is English Bay in Vancouver. The Pacific Northwest has rockier beaches, and there are always logs washed up which are recycled into usefulness on our beaches. We use them to sit on, to put our gear on and to lean against . . .




Vancouver's English Bay near Seawall by DG Hudson

***

These are some of the beached logs of the driftwood type, seasoned by the waters of English Bay and beyond. . .Vancouver, BC


English Bay Beach, ft of Denman, Vancouver, by DG Hudson

***

On the Dry Tortugas, an island park 70 miles off the coast of Key West, Florida, a beach where nothing can be taken as a souvenir, as this is the site of Ft. Jefferson, dating from the 1800s. It has been declared a natural preserve and national park site. You get there via boat, or catamaran.

Dry Tortugas Beach (off Key West Fla) by DG Hudson

***

St. Augustine, Florida, one of the oldest settlements in Florida boasts a lighthouse and gorgeous white sand beaches to highlight the quaint town and its fort made of sea shell walls.

St Augustine, Fla. Beach by DG Hudson

***

What beaches do you remember? Did you visit any beaches this summer? Are you sad that summer is winding down?

Please leave a comment to let me know you were here and I'll respond. Thanks for dropping by. Apologies for the sparse posts, due to time restraints. 

***
References and other related posts:



http://dghudson.blogspot.ca/2013/06/the-tide-that-pulls-east-coast-florida.html

Key West, Florida
http://dghudson-rainwriting.blogspot.ca/2012/08/key-west-florida-vacation-to-remember.html

Fort Jefferson and the Dry Tortugas
http://dghudson.blogspot.ca/2014/07/history-fort-jefferson-and-dry-tortugas.html

***

23 comments:

  1. You have reminded me just how long it is since I have been to a beach. Too long. Way too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've heard that you have some great beaches there. . . I love the sound of waves at night when I'm sleeping.

      Delete
  2. You're right. Nothing pulls me like the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And nothing pulls the ocean like the tidal influence. . .many find water sources calming (I do) unless it's in its destructive form, of course.

      Delete
  3. Being born and raised on Cape Cod, I was surrounded by beaches. As a result, I could never live in a landlocked state. My fave was probably Spring Hill in E. Sandwich where I lived. My dad had a cottage there in the 60s and 70s as investment property. It was a private beach so quite nice not to have crowds. I love French & Willows beaches on Vancouver Island and Ruby Beach in WA. And Cannon Beach in OR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in agreement on liking to live on the coasts - I knew I didn't want to live in a 'landlocked' state or province either. I've said that many times - I need the oceans nearby. I don't think I know about that French and Willows beaches on Vancouver Island, where on the island is it? It's been warm here, but not as muggy as on the east coast, JoJo.

      Delete
  4. For me, it's the water that draws me, although I don't actually go into the water much. :P Next year I plan to go to St. Augustine, so I'll definitely have to go to a beach while I'm there. I went to a beach once in Daytona, Fort Lauderdale, and Hollywood (FL), plus where I lived (Melbourne and Cocoa Beach). My favorite out of those was the beach in Fort Lauderdale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Fort Lauderdale Beach is one I haven't seen. Our family went to Jacksonville and Daytona most of the time when we were young. St. Augustine has the prettiest beach, but none of the beach extras (rentals, food, etc) at least when we visited in 2005. Be sure to see the fort and or the lighthouse in the town of St. Augustine, Fla.

      Delete
  5. I love evening beaches and winter beaches. When everyone has gone, and my dog gets the run of the place, it's pretty much perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the time (evening and winter) when I like to walk on the beach, too, as the crowds aren't there.

      Delete
  6. I was brought up by the sea and often miss the smell of sea air and the sucking rattle as the waves wash over the shingle. There's something about beaches...and watching the sea; similar to watching a fire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be similar. Both are natural forces that intrigue us (probably since man discovered fire and water) Perhaps it's the innate power present in both of these forces. Thanks for visiting. I saw some interesting material on your website, too, as I have Scottish background, hubs has English. . .

      Delete
  7. Even though I'm in landlocked Colorado, I love the beach. I've been to Newport Beach (bro-in-law lives there... too crowded and yuppie-ish, though) and during my trip to Thailand a few years back, I saw quite a few. My favorite was Koh Wai, in which I stayed in a little shack on the beach. At night, when the tide rose, the waves would gently wash against the walls. It sounded heavenly. Best night's sleep I've ever had. To this day if I'm having trouble sleeping I just pull up 'beach sounds' on YouTube and imagine being in that little shack while I hear the waves crash. I just fall asleep instantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are exotic beach memories, ABFTS. I sleep well when I hear the ocean waves too. I think it's the sea air or primordial memories. Very cool to sleep in a beach shack. . .as long as it was not floating outwards.

      Delete
  8. I especially love the white beaches, there is just something so pristine about white sand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White sand does take your breath away and can be harsh on the eyes (the glare!). I've not been to any west coast side of Florida beaches, but a crit partner and friend who lives there say they are the best white beaches.

      Delete
  9. Hi D.G.,

    Oh my, it took me ages to get to your post. Apologies for such a delay but you may well understand I've had a bit of a hassle.

    Such a variety of beaches. Of course, I'm very familiar with beaches of Vancouver. You have made me realise that soon I shall be on some of the Vancouver beaches. I make no mention of Wreck beach :)

    Hope you had a nice Labour Day and enjoy the upcoming weekend.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Notice I made no mention of Wreck Beach either, although I visited there early on when I came to Vancouver (however, I kept my clothes on. . .)AND I kept to other beaches after that.

      Delete
  10. I live by the sea and some glorious beaches, so your post is very apt. I'm not sure I have a favourite, but Shelly Beach in my hometown would be at the top of my list. It's small and tucked away from the main tourist attractions. A beach for locals. I love how quiet and peaceful it is during the week, and how it comes alive when the amateur sailors come out at the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful - a beach away from the madding crowds. . .an excellent beach memory. One of my old memories: I can clearly remember my mom and an aunt talking as they were walking with me into the ocean. I was about 4 or 5 yrs. I was sure they were going to keep talking even when the water got too deep for me. . . those waves were strong enough at the time to bowl me over. (of course I'm still here so they didn't inadvertently drown me. . .)

      Delete
  11. My initial thought was that beaches do not figure much into my memories. I'm not overly fond of being at the beach. But then as I began to think about it I realized that I do have numerous memories connected with beaches and most of them are quite good.

    I won't say that I'm particularly sad that summer is winding down, but I'm sad to see the passing of time. The summer as all of my time passed far too quickly. This past summer I didn't set foot on a beach although my family and I did walk along the beach on the boardwalk in Asbury Park, NJ and that was nice.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone is fond of beaches, and I'm no sun bunny, but I do like walking on beaches and boardwalks. I like watching the sea and thinking how far that water might have come to arrive on any beach. . .since the oceans do cycle around the earth. Thanks for visiting, Lee!

      Delete
  12. For me, it's the sound of the water and seagulls. It's so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before they show on the blog.