Saturday, December 15, 2012

A Christmas Scene for the Holidays

From Santas to Snow. . .


A Santa gathering, retro windup toy in middle, by DG Hudson

 
Christmas, December 25th, is only a week and a half away. The tree is dressed and wreaths are hanging at our place. We have handcrafted ornaments on our tree, collected at various craft markets over the years. I remember where most of them originated. One from a gift shop in Paris, some purchased from crafty friends, others were gifts from years past. 



Handpainted Christmas Village close-up, by DG Hudson


The Christmas Village above started as pre-cast plaster houses we painted as a family activity each Christmas. We combined the houses with a few N-gauge model railway accessories, and cotton batting for snow.  Be forewarned, a large population of Santas reside here, with a Christmas shop, an old style Diner, even a small nativity scene, N-gauge scale. 


See the four Santas below?  It's four lightly stuffed felt Santas joined together, making it easier to stand, so said the friend who made them.  The clay baby dragon was made by an artist who lets me dragon-sit it.  Both are favourites, the dragon is on display year-round.  He has a roly-poly belly.



4 Santas-in-one and Baby Dragon, photo by DG Hudson


Create mini-displays or mini-scenes, if you have the space. Group items together for better effect, as the first photo in this post illustrates. Larger items are better for this and can be used on window ledges. Smaller groupings can be placed on larger furniture. Our Christmas Village is on a buffet top, so the mirror behind makes the village seem larger. Ensure things are set-up to be out of the way of guests, but yet easy to see.  

The snow-laden trees in the photo below comes from a Winter Past.  However, this morning, we did have snow flurries in Vancouver.  Hope you enjoyed the pics!


 
A Vancouver winter of the recent Past, by DG Hudson


Best Wishes for the Holiday Season and 2013!
 

Do you have any favourite decorations for Christmas (something you bring out each year)? OR Do you have a special holiday tradition? (singing, skating, skiing, a trip to somewhere warm?)

Please share in the comments, and thanks for visiting.

*** 

28 comments:

  1. Was that pic of Vancouver taken during the winter of 2008 by any chance? We got HAMMERED in Western Washington the week leading up to Christmas that year. I was out of work for 2 weeks between being unable to get out of my driveway and vacation. Loving the village! I love to make ornaments and decorations too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, JoJo, it was 2008, and we got a dumping, too. Vancouver doesn't do snow well. Glad you like the village.

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas!

    I can honestly say I know exactly what N scale is, since my son and husband are both railroad fanatics. MUST have a train to go with the Christmas village. :)

    Great pics! I wish we'd get some snow like that one photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've gone to model railway shows, too, where I pick up the passenger train paraphanalia. We like trains.

      Delete
  3. I have blue Christmas lights that I have to put up every year and my grandmother's Nativity that she received as a gift on her marriage in 1940. It is a porcelain creation with the Holy Family, the Wisemen, the shepherds and an angel as well as sheep, a donkey, a cow, three camels and a dog. It's my favorite thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the colour blue, so I'd probably like your decorations, and keeping a family heirloom is a great tradition. Would love to see a photo of that.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous pic! I love all of these images. Today I keep hitting send too soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind another comment, Melissa. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete
  5. I love your decorations. They're so whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of my hidden side. I have eclectic tastes in art.

      Delete
  6. I really like those stuffed Santas. Hoping for a snow scene like that one on Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have all the snow. I prefer it on the mountains. I love the expressions on those four Santas' faces.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the follow, Susan, and Welcome.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful pictures. Our main tradition used to be singing in the Christmas choir service every year, but this one was my last, possibly forever.

    One new tradition we have, though, is picking a different sort of Christmas tree every year. It's brilliant fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice when you have the voice to sing in the choir. Not one of my abilities. I do like the idea of a different Christmas tree.

      Delete
  8. Welcome, Elise, thanks for the follow. Nice to see you here. I had to show hubs the mini-traveling Alex in Paris! Lucky Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your decorations especially the village. We add ornaments to the tree every year, one for each child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice tradition. Do you make it personal or keep to a theme?

      Delete
  10. Very festive! My wife and I buy a Christmas ornament when we go on vacation each year, so it's fun to see all the places we've been on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too, Milo. We did that in Key West and Paris.

      Delete
  11. Happy Holidays! I love your santas. Those are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. I've collected them over a few years, and friends and other crafters have made them.

      Delete
  12. what a gorgeous snow photo! And I love those Santas with the long beards. Christmas is the greatest time with all the decorations...

    Have a wonderful holiday! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas is great for the kids, and makes us take time off for family if we can.

      Re-snow: we got a dumping in Vancouver on the 19th after the flurries and had a surprise from one of our new bridges. (icicles falling from a great height)

      Happy holiday!

      Delete
  13. I love your Christmas village! We put one up every year for our grandchildren and they enjoy it so much... The last photo you posted of the snow outside the window is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bobbi and Gracie (I recognize you from Inger's place)! Snows in photo - ok, but it did snow a little on Christmas Day.

      Thanks for the follow!

      Delete
  14. Such fun at your house. I love those miniature village set-ups and have always dreamed of having one, but I don't know where we'd put it. No special traditions or decorations with us. For the past several years we've spent Christmas in Tennessee with my mother. We didn't this year and I miss it.

    Happy New Year!

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like our village, Lee. We had a lot of fun 'building' it.

      Delete

Comments will be reviewed before they show on the blog.